Provides high quality nursing care for assigned patients in accordance with nursing standards of care and practice under the supervision of a Registered Nurse. Maintains collaborative relationships with other nursing staff members, physicians, and ancillary staff to provide this care. Maintains an appropriate level of knowledge and clinical skill through continuing education/in-services and self study activities.
Education, License & Certification(s):
The staff nurse must be an LPN currently licensed by the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing.
The staff practical nurse must be licensed by the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing. This individual must have completed the IV therapy curriculum requirements as noted in the Pennsylvania Code, Section 21.203. If not completed at the time of hire, the individual must complete a Board approved, LPN IV Therapy Education Program prior to independently practicing IV therapy. In addition, the staff LPN must meet individual nursing unit specifications regarding educational requirements during employment. Must maintain CPR certification.
- Works collaboratively with and under the direction of a Registered Nurse.
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate observations of patient to members of the healthcare team.
- Supports the philosophy and objectives of the nursing department.
- Assists the Registered Nurse with nursing process.
- Participates in patient data collection, including the admission process.
- Contributes in determining outcomes (goals) that will involve the patient and family.
- Implements plan of care in collaboration with the nursing team.
- Assists RN to evaluate patient's response to interventions.
- Recommends changes in plan of care to RN and participates in patient care conferences.
- Demonstrates competence in performance of nursing skills and procedures relative to clinical area and scope of practice.
- Practices within the scope of nursing care consistent with policies and procedures and Pennsylvania licensure for LPNs.
- Partners with the RN to implement evidence based interventions and treatments unique to the patient need.
- Assists with health education of patients and family, utilizing patient education resources.
- Prioritizes work assignments and sets goals in order to manage daily patient assignments.
- Documents in a thorough, concise, timely manner according to the nursing department standards.
- Accurately documents and reports changes in patient's conditions to the RN.
- Fulfills professional role expectations and requirements.
- Demonstrates behaviors aligned with the organization's mission and vision.
- Demonstrates positive interpersonal relations in dealing with nursing and inter-professional team to promote efficiency and to provide quality patient care.
- Shares knowledge and skills with peers and colleagues by recognizing and utilizing opportunities to teach other staff members, participating in orientation of new employees, and collaborating with faculty in clinical experiences for healthcare students.
- Demonstrates a commitment to lifelong learning by assessing and identifying personal learning needs, developing a plan to maintain skills and competence in clinical practice or role performance, and then completing the plan. Maintains professional records that provide evidence of competency.
- Evaluates personal strengths and weakness.
- Participates in performance improvement activities to enable changes in nursing practice and in the healthcare delivery system.
- Participates in efforts to minimize costs and unnecessary duplication in patient care.
- Utilizes time between patient care procedures to maintain clean and orderly work environment and help other nurses with patient care.
- It is understood that this description is not intended to be all inclusive and that other duties may be assigned as necessary in the performance of this position
Joining the Guthrie team allows you to become a part of a tradition of excellence in health care. In all areas and at all levels of Guthrie, you'll find staff members who have committed themselves to serving the community.
The Guthrie Clinic is an Equal Opportunity Employer that welcomes and encourages diversity in the workplace.
The Guthrie Clinic is a non-profit, integrated, practicing physician-led organization in the Twin Tiers of New York and Pennsylvania. Our multi-specialty group practice of more than 500 physicians and 302 advanced practice providers offers 47 specialties through a regional office network providing primary and specialty care in 22 communities. Guthrie Medical Education Programs include General Surgery, Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, Anesthesiology and Orthopedic Surgery Residency, as well as Cardiovascular, Gastroenterology and Pulmonary Critical Care Fellowship programs. Guthrie is also a clinical campus for the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine.