Are you a highly motivated, go-getter with an ability to drive and lead delivery of our archaeological fieldwork contracting services?
Can you oversee multiple projects, people, and plan ahead? Do you have a passion for delivering value and benefit through archaeology? Are you an exceptional communicator, highly organised, efficient and with a high work-rate?
If this sounds like you, read more to find out about this exciting opportunity as Head of Field Archaeology.
This Head of Field Archaeology position is for a key member of our management team to lead one of the three divisions of the company, the others being our Consultancy and Specialist Services divisions. It requires you to be excellent at your job and an effective leader, motivator, and relationship-builder.
You need to be highly disciplined, have high-level attention to detail, be experienced with costings, budgets, delivering projects to budget, a good 'people person' as well as a competent archaeologist/allied professional.
We are looking for a strong track-record in contracts, budgeting, report checking, and team leadership and able to start soon to ensure a smooth and effective handover.
The post is ideally based at our Bakewell HQ but could include home working based elsewhere in England subject to regular weekly office and site visits as required, however a locally based location is preferred.
You will ideally have experience of running a wide range of projects, motivating and leading teams, planning staff allocations to jobs, co-ordinating post-excavation work, negotiating with local authority archaeologists, producing risk assessments, quality assurance, and report checking.
As Head of Field Archaeology, you will have responsibility for delivering a wide range of projects and will be accountable to the Chief Operating Officer. You will be responsible for completing work on commercial and research-based archaeological projects on time and to budget and for getting invoices issued promptly.
A good knowledge of British archaeology is essential and ideally a track record in reports, editing, and perhaps publication. Good working knowledge of Microsoft Project and Excel is important and good working knowledge of CAD and GIS could be an advantage.
We welcome applications for this Head of Field Archaeology position, from candidates with any of the following skills or attributes: Head of Field Archaeology, Archaeologist, Manager, Leader, MS Office, MS Project, CAD, GIS, Communication Skills, Risk Assessment, Quality Assurance. Benefits
In return, we offer an exciting range of employee benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Bonus scheme linked to achieving company performance targets
- Attractive company pension contribution
- Life assurance cover
- Sector-leading commitment to training and career progression
- Member of the company's health cash plan which includes a wide range of health services and financial support
- Discounts and rewards on health, fitness, and entertainment
- 28 days annual leave (inclusive of bank holidays)
- Additional annual leave awarded according to accrued length of service
- Accommodation provided for away-work with subsistence
- Full personal protective equipment
- 100% of CIfA subscription fees and CSCS card fees
- High level understanding of archaeological fieldwork, including ability to judge most appropriate methods, quantum of work required, ability to cost jobs, and to persuade and negotiate with clients and local authority archaeologists.
- Ability and interest in staff development - bringing on junior staff and helping to grow people as well as develop their skill sets.
- Excellent written English and ability to express oneself accurately and take account of the nuances required in the production of first-rate reports.
- Computer literate including use of MS Office and other programmes, ideally including Microsoft Project, CAD, and GIS.
- Proven ability to run projects to time and cost and complete them to client satisfaction with rapid invoicing.
- Experience of working with NEC contractual agreements and building costings, running projects to time and budget, making applications for payment and so forth.
Archaeological Research Services Ltd is an experienced commercial practice providing a full range of archaeological and heritage services.
By offering a complete service we keep costs down and gain efficiencies for our clients through the life cycle of a project so you can be sure of maximising the value of your investment. We operate throughout the UK from our network of offices, and we welcome opportunities to work abroad.
Whether you are building infrastructure or houses, establishing a quarry, converting mills, or regenerating urban places, we offer a one-stop shop for dealing with all archaeological and heritage matters.
From preliminary advice and assessments to high-level consultancy, fieldwork, post-excavation analysis and dissemination, our approach is committed to providing successful outcomes by way of tailor-made solutions geared to the strategic needs of our clients.
We are an efficient organisation committed to investment in our staff, equipment, and technology. This means you can be sure of being assisted by skilled, hard-working, and motivated staff who take pride in their work, create value, and deliver jobs on time.