The Accounting Lead performs general accounting activities, including the preparation, maintenance and reconciliation of ledger accounts and financial statements such as balance sheets, profit-and-loss statements and capital expenditure schedules. Conducts or assists in the documentation of accounting projects. The Accounting Lead works on problems of diverse scope and complexity ranging from moderate to substantial. Responsibilities
The Accounting Lead prepares, records, analyzes and reports accounting transactions and ensures the integrity of accounting records for completeness, accuracy and compliance with accepted accounting policies and principles. Provides financial support, including forecasting, budgeting and analyzing variations from budget. Analyzes and prepares statutory accounts, financial statements and reports. Advises executives to develop functional strategies (often segment specific) on matters of significance. Exercises independent judgment and decision making on complex issues regarding job duties and related tasks, and works under minimal supervision, Use independent judgment requiring analysis of variable factors and determining the best course of action.
The primary focus of this role will be to oversee quarterly and annual State Medicaid reporting. This role offers candidates the ability to learn how the Medicaid business works and grow into a subject matter expert over Humana's growing Medicaid portfolio. Additionally, this position will service both internal Humana and external customers.
(Candidates will need a moderate to advanced SQL/SAS technical skills as well as utilizing effective written and verbal communication. Workloads can fluctuate depending on due date so time management and organizational skills are crucial.) Required Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field
- Must have prior/current experience working in SAS with the ability to read and interpret and write code
- Prior experience within the financial industry
- Demonstrated experience building relationships with customers
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Must be able to work 'standard' EST or CST business hours
- Master's Degree in Business Administration
- Certified Public Accountant license
- Prior government healthcare experience/understanding of how the business works
- Medicaid/Medicare/government healthcare industry experience
Humana Tower, Louisville, Ky or Remote Nationwide Vaccine Policy:
Humana and its subsidiaries require vaccinated associates who work outside of their home to submit proof of vaccination, including COVID-19 boosters. Associates who remain unvaccinated must either undergo weekly negative COVID testing OR wear a mask at all times while in a Humana facility or while working in the field. Every associate and contractor who work inside a Humana facility or in the field, regardless of vaccination status, must complete a daily health screening questionnaire.
Please note: Some areas of our business, such as the Primary Care Organization including CenterWell, Conviva, Kindred at Home, onehome, SeniorBridge, Neighborhood Centers, Pharmacy Distribution Centers and others, may be required to adhere to federal, state or local or additional workplace guidelines. Work-At-Home Requirements:
- WAH requirements: Must have the ability to provide a high speed DSL or cable modem for a home office. Associates or contractors who live and work from home in the state of California will be provided payment for their internet expense.
- A minimum standard speed for optimal performance of 25x10 (25mpbs download x 10mpbs upload) is required.
- Satellite and Wireless Internet service is NOT allowed for this role.
- A dedicated space lacking ongoing interruptions to protect member PHI / HIPAA information
At Humana, we know your well-being is important to you, and it's important to us too. That's why we're committed to making resources available to you that will enable you to become happier, healthier, and more productive in all areas of your life. Just to name a few:
- Work-Life Balance
- Generous PTO package
- Health benefits effective day 1
- Annual Incentive Plan
- 401K - Immediate company match
- Well-being program
- Paid Volunteer Time Off
- Student Loan Refinancing
If you share our passion for helping people, we likely have the right place for you at Humana. Social Security Task:
Alert: Humana values personal identity protection. Please be aware that applicants being considered for an interview will be asked to provide a social security number, if it is not already on file. When required, an email will be sent from with instructions to add the information into the application at Humana's secure website. Scheduled Weekly Hours
Humana complies with all applicable federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or religion. We also provide free language interpreter services. See our